Moving With Children
Moving with children can be one of the most difficult aspects of relocating your life. Children are sensitive to moves, especially when leaving the surroundings, school and friends they know and are used to. However, kids love an exciting adventure. Transform a move into an exciting new journey that the kids can participate in and watch them relish in the
fun of starting over somewhere new.
Allied has comprised many tips over the years while working with families who are
moving with children. We have found ways to incorporate kids into the process, involving
them in small ways to help them adjust to the relocation as well as provide them
with a sense of accomplishment along the way.
- Let your kids know about the move as soon as possible.
- Have an open discussion with the children, sharing the details you think they will
comprehend, asking them questions and listening to their questions or concerns.
- Depending on the ages of your children, they will likely react differently to the
move. For example:
- Younger children tend to miss familiar people like a favorite teacher, as well as
safe and secure environments like church, school or even their bedrooms.
- Older children, especially teenagers, tend to miss their friends and others in the
community with whom they have relationships.
- Try and get the kids involved in every aspect of the relocation, from the house
hunting to the planning to the sorting and packing of your belongings.
- Make sure kids pack a special box with their most treasured possessions. Encourage
them to decorate the box, and ensure that this carton is loaded last. That way,
the kids can have their "special" box right away when your goods are being delivered.
- Ask younger children for their input on decorating or arranging items in the new
home, and let older children decorate their own space.
- Provide your children with plenty of time to say good-bye to their friends and other
people that are special to them in the community. Encourage them to exchange contact
information so that they can keep in touch with friends.
- Continue your child's current activities in your new community - continuity will
make adjusting to a new location much easier and the transition much less jarring.
There is no one solution for making moving with children easier. However, by using
some of the above tips, you can greatly ease the stress of relocating on your kids.
Ensure that your kids are well-adjusted to their new living situation by involving
them in the move process at some point during every stage, the pre-move, the packing
and loading and the unloading. As an added bonus, kids can be a great help when
it comes to organizing and packing your belongings!
Moving with children can be a rewarding experience for both you and them. Create
an atmosphere of adventure and excitement during your move, and watch your kids
enjoy the experience of a new journey.