How to Keep Your Moving Costs to a Minimum
If the thought of moving to a new home causes you to break out in a cold sweat, you aren’t alone. Besides the ever-expanding to-do list, one of the biggest causes for moving-related stress is the finances involved. There’s just no way getting around it – moving costs money. However, there are ways to reduce those moving costs and keep them at a minimum. Here are five methods for keeping your budget trim:
- Compare movers. Hiring a moving company is probably one of the largest moving costs. Many choose to forego this expense altogether, but oftentimes it’s just as affordable to hire movers as to rent a truck and do all the work yourself – especially if you find the right moving company. Spend time comparing companies on the basis of services, experience, and of course, cost. That way, you’ll end up with the best movers for you and your budget.
- Look for moving deals. There are a lot of moving deals out there – you just have to take the initiative to find them. Look online at couponing sites like Groupon or Living Social or in nearby appliance or home goods stores once you arrive at your new home. If you look hard enough, you can often find discounts on storage, supplies, or other services.
- Borrow supplies from friends and family. Boxes and other supplies can increase your moving costs significantly, especially if you have a lot of belongings to pack. However, if you have friends or family members who have moved recently, ask if you can borrow their boxes or offer to purchase them at a discounted rate. Either way, you’re saving!
- Hold a moving sale. It’s a fact – if you move less stuff, your move will cost less. So take time as you pack to sort your belongings into piles of things you want to keep, toss, and sell/donate. For everything in the last pile, hold a moving sale. You’ll even make some cash to add to your budget. Every little bit helps!
- Don’t move during the summer. Moving costs more in the summertime because kids are out of school, and that means more people move during mid-June to mid-September.
If you’re in need of an affordable, reputable moving company, Allied Van Lines can help. With more than 85 years of experience, our goal is to assist customers in achieving a smooth move that won’t break the bank. Contact us today for a free estimate!