You’re Trusted Long Distance Mover
Planning a move can be an exciting yet challenging endeavor. The process of packing, transporting, and settling into a new home can be overwhelming, but with the right moving partner, your transition can be smooth and stress-free. When it comes to moving to or within Canada, Allied Van Lines is a trusted and reliable choice that stands out among the competition. With a commitment to excellence, a vast network of resources, and a proven track record of customer satisfaction, Allied Van Lines is the ideal partner to ensure a successful and seamless relocation experience.
Long Distance Moving Services
If you’re moving to another province or country, you’ll probably want to consider hiring one of the many long-distance moving companies in your area. This is a good idea for several reasons, including convenience and safety – and you may be surprised to learn that sometimes it’s not all that expensive either. When many people think of long-distance moving companies, they only think about movers that show up on moving day, load your belongings onto a truck, and transport your stuff to your new home. But nowadays, full-service long-distance moving companies offer more options than ever, including the following:
- Packing/Unpacking. Whether you need everything packed or just the most fragile items, most long-distance moving companies offer the services you need. In addition, companies will likely provide unpacking services once you arrive at
your new home for an extra fee. Hiring movers to unpack will mean your home will be set up and live-in ready in a day rather than weeks or months. Having your moving company take care of packing and unpacking for you often also means less opportunity
for damage of precious items. The pros know how to wrap and move items that you might find impossible.
- Assembly/Disassembly. Need something large and bulky – including waterbeds, swing sets, furniture, etc. – disassembled at your current home and put back together at the new place? Ask your moving company if it provides
services that do just that. Eliminating the stress that comes with thinking about assembling and disassembling large items can really improve your overall moving experience.
- Short-term and long-term storage. Are you arriving at your destination city before your new home or apartment will be move-in ready? Then ask your moving company if it provides short-term or portable storage
for your belongings while you wait. Or maybe you’re downsizing and need a more permanent storage solution. If that’s the case, many of the best long-distance moving companies have storage services for rent or at least have connections
with reputable storage facilities in the area.
- Custom crating. Certain belongings just won’t fit in a traditional box, whether because it’s too large, fragile, or odd-shaped. That’s where custom crating comes in. Find a moving company
that can offer crating services for things like framed artwork, sculptures, or electronic equipment. The company will pick up your item or items and make sure they are packaged to withstand the move.
- Loading/Unloading: Probably the most vital part of getting a move right is how a company loads your things on the truck. Finding a moving company that is skilled in loading your belongings correctly and will do all of the loading and unloading for you is key. This might seem like a basic part of moving that everyone offers, but some moving and storage services make you load your own belongings, and you can't ensure the safety of your things the way the professionals can.
Whatever your needs, Allied Van Lines wants to go the extra mile to serve you during your move. With more than 95 years of experience, we’ve helped thousands of customers achieve a successful move by offering service “extras” like those listed above.
What is considered a long distance move?
When it comes to moving, the term "long distance" can mean different things to different people. However, generally speaking, a long distance move is considered any move over 400 miles or across state lines or involving a substantial distance within the same country. The distance matters because it brings a host of logistical challenges that are not present in local moves.
Unlike local moves, long distance moves require careful planning and coordination by the moving company. The movers need to ensure that everything is packed and loaded in a way that prevents damage during transport. Special care needs to be given to fragile items, such as pool tables and swing sets, to prevent damage during travel.
What to Look for in a Long Distance Moving Company
Although plenty of long distance moving companies offer great add-on services, that doesn't mean that they are all created equal. You'll want to look into the specifics of any company you're considering before you commit.
- Cross-Border Moves. If you're moving across North America from Canada to the U.S. then you'll need moving services specific to a cross-border and long-distance move. Look for a company with experience in these areas so your moving truck doesn't wind up stuck in customs.
- Local Moving. If you're going to need short-term storage or you're planning on living in a rental for a few months before purchasing a home in your new location, then you will want to find a company that can handle local moves too. Sometimes companies will even offer a free move for you locally within a few months of your cross-country move.
- Customer Service. You have enough on your plate without having to worry about the snippy person helping you move. Great customer service builds confidence and keeps your experience pleasant even during the stressful times. Look for a company that takes customer service seriously and won't stand for the mistreatment of its customers.
- Well Rated. You don't want to trust a company that has a poor reputation with all of your most precious belongings. Look into the company's online ratings with a quick Google search, browse through their social media, and check their score with the Better Business Bureau to make sure you've got a reputable and reliable company behind you during your move. You can also look for movers who are part of reputable organizations like the Canadian Association of Movers.
- Moving Tips. Moving long distances can be daunting. Work with a company that is proud to help you make the most of your move. Beyond just storage options, you want to deal with long distance movers who understand what you're going through and can help you along the way. The best companies offer tips to help you get the most from your move even if they end up making less money on extras because of it.
- Transparency. You want a company that tells it to you straight. You want to know your prices up front and be able to have honest conversations about timelines, storage options, moving dates, shipment tracking, and more. A company that isn't willing to get transparent with you isn't a company worth working with.
- Inventory. Reputable movers keep an inventory of your things to ensure that nothing is lost in transit. You want to make sure that your company knows what you've got in your moving boxes and can ensure that those boxes make it to you safely in your new home. Look for a company that offers shipment tracking as well to give you peace of mind as your belongings make the trek across the state or country.
- COVID-19. Nowadays companies need to have a plan to combat the spread of COVID-19. Every company should have a plan to clean and sanitize their trucks and keep you and their employees safe as you share spaces in your new location. Ask to see the plans and procedures before you commit to using a company so you know you'll feel comfortable when moving day comes around.
Tips for finding affordable yet quality long distance movers
Moving can be a costly process, especially when it involves long distances. However, finding affordable rates while still receiving quality service is possible with a little research and careful planning. Here are some tips for finding a reputable long distance moving company in Canada that offers competitive rates:
- Shop around for quotes - Don't settle for the first quote you receive. Pricing can vary widely between companies, so it's important to compare rates from multiple reputable movers to ensure that you are getting a fair price.
- Ask specific questions - When requesting a quote, be sure to ask specific questions about any additional fees or costs that may apply. For example, does the company charge extra for packing material or storage services? Will there be an additional cost to transport bulky items such as pool tables or swing sets? Getting all the information upfront can help you avoid any surprise costs down the line.
- Balance affordability with quality service - While it's important to find a mover that offers affordable rates, it's equally important to choose one that provides quality service. Look for reputable movers that have positive reviews and a track record of reliable service.
- Consider the time of year - Moving during peak times, such as the summer months, can be more expensive. Consider scheduling your move during the offseason when rates may be lower.
Allied Van Lines knows that you need confidence in your moving company, and that's why we offer free quotes, moving tips, and more. We can do all of the hard work and heavy lifting for you, we're highly rated, and we're well recognized across North America as a leader in long-distance moving.