How to Move: What Makes a Move Less Stressful?
Let’s face it – moving to a new home can create maximum stress in our lives. It’s sad, because the process of choosing a new place to live and heading to a new city, province or country should be an adventure. But the burden of moving often subdues the excitement we feel. Fortunately, there are ways to make the process of how to move less stressful. Here are just a few.
- Get organized. One of the most stressful things about moving is feeling like there’s a lot left to do, but not knowing what that is. Thankfully, that problem is easy enough to solve – create a to-do list. Then, make sure each item on your list is placed on a timeline. Start planning several months out and check items off the list as they are completed.
- Ask for help. Most of the time, our friends and family are more than willing to help us when we’re feeling overwhelmed – we just need to ask! Give your loved ones specific way they can help you as you prepare for the big moving day, whether it means helping you cook or clean, babysitting your kiddos, or running errands for you.
- Hire a moving company. If stress is truly a concern, hiring a company to do the packing, transporting and loading/unloading is the best plan for how to move. Sure, it may cost a little extra than a DIY move (though not always!), but the convenience and lowered stress can certainly be worth it.
- Get rid of what you no longer need. Use this move as an excuse to clean out your closets! Separate what you want to keep from what you no longer need. Then purge, sell or donate the latter items. You’ll have less to pack – and lightening your load means lightening your stress.
- Do your research – and save. The budget is a large reason why moving is stressful. We all tend to overspend when we get overwhelmed, and that just piles on the stress. Instead, take your time up front to research the best places to buy inexpensive supplies and the most cost-effective moving solutions.
By following these tips on how to move, you’ll make your moving day far less stressful – and turn it into the adventure you want it to be. Begin now, and enjoy the process from start to finish!