Corporate Relocation: Sample Moving Policies

Or call one of our customer service representatives at 1‑833-591-0364.

Or call one of our customer service representatives at 1‑833-591-0364.

Get a Quote

Allied can assist you with establishing a corporate relocation policy for your company. Following are guidelines that can be used by the corporate relocating professional to create a corporate relocation policy that will streamline the process of relocating for the company and your employees. These sample policies should not be construed as recommendations.

Sample Policy 1 - Long Form

The actual moving of your household goods will be handled for you by (The Company). You should get in touch with your contact person at your unit before making any arrangements for movement of household goods. They will make arrangements with the divisional and local traffic departments to assign a household goods van line to handle your move.

(The Company) has signed Household Goods Transportation Agreements with a number of national van lines. Since these van lines offer substantial discounts to us, a van line from this group should be selected in order to take advantage of these cost savings. The van line's proven performance should also assure you of a smooth relocation.

Allowable Moving Expenses

The following items are allowable moving expenses. If you anticipate any moving expenses other than those listed below, you should discuss them with your contact person prior to your household goods move. Some expenses are noted as being reimbursable with "special approval." In these cases, special approval means approval by the general manager, staff vice president or executive in charge of the unit to which you are transferring.

  • Packing and unpacking, crating and uncrating of household goods and personal belongings
  • Freight charges for household goods, personal belongings, autos, motorcycles and trucks
  • With special approval, shipping charges for unusual items, such as a boat or trailer
  • Installation charges (including plumbing and electrical outlets) for such major appliances as stoves, refrigerators, room air conditioners, washers, dryers and water softeners, providing you had the same or similar appliances at the former location (installation cost of transmission lines from the utility service to the house circuit or fuse box is not reimbursable)
  • Charges for installation (labor only) of a television antenna, provided you had an antenna at the previous residence
  • Tuning and adjustment of a piano, television and stereo set
  • Charges for "turn-off" of utilities at former residence and charges for "turn-on" of utilities at new residence, excluding meter deposits
  • Alteration of carpeting and draperies brought from the former residence to fit the new residence
  • Trash pickup at new residence specifically related to the move
  • Installation charges for the same number and type of telephones as in previous residence

In addition, the corporation will pay for or reimburse the cost of storing household goods for up to 30 days, if necessary. Reimbursement for storage in excess of 30 days may require special approval.

Moving expenses for which you will NOT be reimbursed include:

  • Cost of shipping firewood, concrete blocks, bricks or other construction materials
  • Cost of transporting farm animals, animals owned for investment or as part of a business. Reimbursement of expenses for the transportation, care and feeding of animals other than household pets requires special approval.
  • Cost of shipping furnishings of secondary or vacation homes
  • Movement of personal airplanes, as well as the cost of gas, oil, etc., if you have the airplane flown to the new location
  • Cost of removing or installing built-in cabinets or appliances
  • Cost of disassembling and assembling a workshop, photographic darkroom, playhouse, etc.
  • Additional help not supplied by contracted movers
  • Sanding floors at new residence
  • Cleaning carpets or draperies
  • Cost of installing curtain rods, drapes, window shades, yard lights or gas grills
  • Purchase of antenna or rotors
  • Decorating, painting or repairing at the old or new residence
  • Installation of new door locks.


It will not be necessary for you to obtain in-transit coverage in excess of the van line's standard liability coverage because trip transit coverage is provided automatically at the corporation's expense. This coverage is provided by (The Company) and covers your household goods and personal effects while in transit and while in storage.

Company policy automatically provides continuous coverage against physical loss or damage to your household goods from the time the shipment commences the transit at your home (or other point of shipment), until the time the shipment arrives at your new home - including incidental storage.

If your goods are not shipped by a van line and are transported by you, company policy provides coverage for loss and damage caused by fire, lightning, theft, attempted theft, vandalism, cyclone, tornado, windstorm, earthquake, flood, explosion, falling objects, collision or overturning of the conveyance while in your own care, custody and control.

You should advise your contact person if you need specific information concerning items covered and excluded under this coverage policy which are not summarized below:

Goods covered include:

Personal effects, household furniture and equipment common to a household and owned by you and/or members of your immediate family, including automobiles and motorcycles, if shipped by a van line.

Goods not covered include:

Animals of any kind, personal papers such as receipts, accounts or bills, currency, deeds, evidence of debt, notes, bonds, securities, shipments by mail, perishable foods, passports, airline or other tickets, bullion, accompanied baggage, household plants, and automobiles, motorcycles or other vehicles while being driven over the road and boats or other watercraft being towed or while under their own power in navigable water.

Exclusions include: (1) Moths, vermin, insects, gradual deterioration, wear and tear and inherent vice; (2) War risks on land; (3) Expenses incurred by you for the time involved in preparing and presenting the claim.

When there are items of unusually high value, or of a fragile nature, you should specifically request special handling and attention in packing by the mover. Items particularly susceptible to damage, such as TV sets, stereo equipment, pianos, refrigerators, freezers, etc. are not usually covered for internal damage unless there is visible and certain evidence of external damage.

Your contact person will provide you with a Household Inventory form, which you will need to complete in order to state the value of all articles that will be contained in your shipment. Categories of items such as clothing may be grouped. Sets of items, such as china, crystal and silverware should be piece-counted and valued. If any of your household possessions are to be placed in storage, a separate list covering those items should be prepared, indicating individual values and the address of the storage warehouse. These inventories must be submitted before you move. UNLESS THE VALUED INVENTORY IS PREPARED AND SUBMITTED PRIOR TO YOUR MOVE, YOUR GOODS WILL NOT BE COVERED AND REIMBURSEMENT OF ANY LOSS WILL BE IN JEOPARDY.

When your household goods arrive at your new location, it is important that you look at all the boxes, crates, etc. Anything obviously dented, wet, torn or otherwise damaged, should be opened first.

  1. Write down the inventory number listed on the box.

  2. Sort out its contents for damage.

If you discover damaged items, such as broken glass where the damage will not accelerate or the condition of the affected items will not further deteriorate, set the crates and the damaged goods aside for possible inspection by the coverage company. In all cases, save the carton whenever possible.

When your household goods have been unloaded, the mover or agent will present a receipt for you to sign. This should have all the carton numbers on it and a space to note their condition on arrival. It is important that you make note of any damage and losses before you sign the delivery receipt. If you have been unable to check the condition of all contents, indicate on the delivery receipt that the condition of your property is subject to further inspection.

Since only losses and/or damages in transit are covered by coverage, it is important that all cartons and boxes be opened as soon as possible in order to establish that the loss and/or damage occurred in transit. Any delay in reporting loss or damage in transit could result in the coverage company taking a longer time to process your claim. Save whatever evidence is necessary to support your claim.

Unless your contact person has directed you otherwise, there are several steps you must follow in order to be reimbursed:

  1. Since the moving company responsible for the loss or damage is entitled and obligated to do everything possible to restore your affected goods in the interest of minimizing the loss, notify the moving company immediately, preferably in writing. The van line will forward to you a claim form and/or have a representative inspect your goods for the purpose of restoring them and/or compensating you in accordance with their statutory liability. Complete the claim form and return promptly to the moving company, along with any related documentation or correspondence that will support or demonstrate your claim. Should you have any questions concerning your claim, please contact (The Company).

  2. If your claim is denied by the moving company or the settlement does not cover the entire loss, please forward the following documents to (The Company):

    1. All correspondence with the van line, including the statement of claim;

    2. Valued household inventory;

    3. Bill of Lading/Freight Bill;

    4. Signed delivery receipt;

    5. Copies of all invoices and repair estimates.

    6. Payment will be made directly to you.


Sample Policy 2 - Short Form

At least four weeks before you expect to move into your new home, you must contact your Relocation Coordinator. At that time, a van line will be selected to help you coordinate your move.

Almost everything you need to move will be moved at (The Company's) expense. This includes household goods that need to be packed and unpacked, pictures and mirrors that need to be crated, all reasonable items of furniture, furnishings, clothing, appliances, small tools and equipment. Such items as houseplants, animals and pets, frozen food, construction material, firewood, boats over 14 feet, house and utility trailers will not be included.

If you don't want to drive your cars yourself, (The Company) may provide a professional driving service to move them to your new location. Or, a car can be loaded on a moving van - provided its wholesale (blue book) value exceeds the cost of shipping. If you do drive your cars yourself, (The Company) will reimburse you for the rate-per-mile allowance plus tolls. Submit an expense report to (The Company) with available documentation.

Your Relocation Coordinator will order coverage to cover your household goods during transit. Usually, the goods are covered at a value of 60 cents per pound for any goods damaged or lost. (The Company) will pay for any loss or damage over 60 cents per pound.

If you have antiques or other irreplaceable items of high value, (The Company) may pay for the additional coverage needed. However, you must receive prior approval from your Relocation Coordinator and you must also pay to have the antiques appraised.

If you want to purchase additional coverage over and above (The Company's) recommendation, you may do so at your own expense.