These Relocation Checklist Items Matter Most
If you’re moving to a new home, getting organized is of utmost importance. Fortunately, there are countless timelines and relocation checklists available online to help you prepare for your move. But what if you’re tight on time or need an overview of the most important tasks that must be accomplished prior to moving day? Here are five relocation checklist items that are most important in the moving process:
- Hire a moving company. Professional movers like Allied Van Lines can take a lot of the stress out of moving, since they can assist with everything from packing to loading, unloading and transporting your items, as well as a number of other services. If you decide to hire a moving company, do your research in advance by interviewing several companies and getting in-home estimates from at least three. According to our relocation checklist, you should research and hire movers approximately eight weeks before moving day.
- Inform people you’re moving. You’ll want to tell your friends and family when the time is right. But approximately six weeks before you move, start to inform institutions like your bank and post office, as well as offices like your children’s school, your doctors, etc.
- Arrange transportation. You’ll need to decide how you plan to get to your new home – will you fly or drive? If you plan to fly, hire a moving company like Allied Van Lines to ship your car across the country. If you plan to drive, book hotels as needed during your planned travel.
- Purchase packing supplies. If you plan to hire a moving company to help with this endeavor, you can skip this step. However, if you intend to take the time to pack your belongings, purchase boxes, tape, labels, bubble wrap and any other supplies you’ll need at least four weeks before moving day.
- Ready your entire family for the move. Kids may have a harder time understanding the reasons behind your impending move. Let them ask questions and answer them to the best of your ability. Get them excited by giving them an individual responsibility, like packing their own room.
Use this compilation of important relocation checklist items to plan your move. Contact Allied Van Lines for assistance with any part of your move. With more than 75 years of experience, we can bring you the peace of mind you crave and a stellar moving experience to boot.